The Maryland State Fire Marshal's Office is urging people to use caution if they plan to handle fireworks during the Fourth of July holiday.
Fire officials said they want residents to consider attending public displays. But for those who insist on using fireworks, the fire marshal's office is offering the following tips:
• Purchase the fireworks in the location where you intend to discharge them. Check with the local municipality to determine what fireworks are considered legal for use in that area.
• Read and follow label warnings and instructions.
• Do not allow small children to use fireworks.
• Do not consume alcoholic beverages while using fireworks.
• Have a bucket of water or hose available.
• Fully extinguish remains of fireworks in water before disposal.
For a list of licensed fireworks companies in Maryland, visit